I had the privilege of meeting my mentor in person. He cancelled 6 meetings and took 7 hours out of his hectic schedule to invite me to his physical therapy clinic. I saw his marketing systems firsthand, met his patients and staff, and spoke with his new grad manager, and recorded a podcast. Here is what I did to prepare. Take what applies to your situation and use these tips for an interview, meeting your significant other’s parents, and landing a business deal or a partnership.
1. Invest in them: Before I asked for a meeting, I first invested time and money in them to before asking for something in return. You would have to ask yourself if you were in their shoes–would you want to take time out of your busy day for someone like you? Also, keep in mind what kind of person would feel compelled to mentor and be that person.
2. Implement what they teach: Prove your worth by putting their information into action. I implemented what I was taught by building a website, generating a Facebook business page, and taking professional photos. I also started weekly blogging and doing live videos. Putting in this work showed that I was taking the information I was learning seriously and that I would not be wasting his time.
3. Show gratitude: Promote them and be an advocate for what they do to show you are willing to put your name behind them and back their cause. You can also pay attention to who they are as a person, instead of more than just their brand, and bring them a small token of gratitude based on what you remember they like. This shows attributes that matters more than anything, which are intent and effort.
4. Write down your questions: Take advantage of this opportunity and prepare your questions. I literally had 2 months worth of questions written down in a google document. Most were answered throughout the day and and the rest were discussed in great detail at the end of the day.
5. Stay Humble, Be interested: Don’t try to impress them with how much you think you now know. You have most likely learned what you know from them. Be more interested in what they do and how they achieved their success, and in turn, you will come off much more genuine and interesting to them.
6. Enjoy the moment: You might be nervous, but don’t overthink it. If you’ve gotten this far, you’ve already won. Enjoy your face-to-face time with them; this interaction will grow the relationship for the future.
Thank You for Your Attention.
I owe a great deal of what I learned to Greg Todd & Smart Success PT. It is now open until January 16th with only a few spots left. Healthcare is changing fast and Smart Success is not only at the forefront but it is the catalyst for the change. I can’t wait to see what you become with the help of Smart Success PT. Welcome to the family! We’ve been waiting for you. Change you Career!!
*Free Content!! Keys to PT Marketing 5 things to know before your PT interview pre-registration SSPT 2017 Mentoring Monday Group Free Clinical application for PT’s & 20% off complete anatomy app
Edited: Ffrancesca Famorcan